Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Book Review: A Child Called It by Dave Pelzer



Title: A Child Called "It"
Author: Dave Pelzer
Date Published: September 1st, 1995
Pages: 184











Goodreads Synopsis: 
This book chronicles the unforgettable account of one of the most severe child abuse cases in California history. It is the story of Dave Pelzer, who was brutally beaten and starved by his emotionally unstable, alcoholic mother: a mother who played tortuous, unpredictable games--games that left him nearly dead. He had to learn how to play his mother's games in order to survive because she no longer considered him a son, but a slave; and no longer a boy, but an "it."

Dave's bed was an old army cot in the basement, and his clothes were torn and raunchy. When his mother allowed him the luxury of food, it was nothing more than spoiled scraps that even the dogs refused to eat. The outside world knew nothing of his living nightmare. He had nothing or no one to turn to, but his dreams kept him alive--dreams of someone taking care of him, loving him and calling him their son.



Initial Thoughts:
I started reading this book a long time a go, and for some reason i never finished. I bought the book a few days ago, and wanted to jump right in. I have always wanted to read it, and everybody said that it was really good.

After Thoughts:
This book was so good! Right from the beginning, it had me captured! I never wanted to put the book down, and i finished it in 2 days! (Which is fast for me). There were times that i found it difficult to read because of the things his mother made him do... It was terrible! As for the characters, i have mixed feeling about all of them. There were times in the book where you really liked them, and then there were times were you wanted to punch them in the face! This book put a lot of things in perspective for me. One is that I need to be  more grateful for my stuff and my family. I also learned not to judge people by there looks. You have to give them a chance because you never know there full story. I loved this book , and i gave it a 5/5 stars! I can't wait to read the next one!



Purchase this book from the book depository, and i get a small commission: http://www.bookdepository.com/?a_aid=bookreviewer21

Don't Forget to:
  • Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/bookreviewer21
  • Subscribe to me on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/bookreviewer21
  • Comment on this post!
  • Follow this blog!

Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. I read this YEARS ago and I still remember that this was the first book that made me cry big, fat tears. I had never cried over a book like I did with this one. It was a great, touching story (though sad). I'm glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete