Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Book Review: Looking for Alaska By John Green


Title: Looking for Alaska
Author: John Green
Date Published: December 28th, 2006
Pages: 221












Goodreads synopsis: 
Before. Miles "Pudge" Halter's whole existence has been one big nonevent, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave the "Great Perhaps" (François Rabelais, poet) even more. Then he heads off to the sometimes crazy, possibly unstable, and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed-up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young, who is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart.

After. Nothing is ever the same.


Initial Thoughts:
I've had this book on my shelf since Christmas, and never really thought to pick it up. I didn't know what book to read next, so i did "end mennie minee moe" with all of by books (lol) and this was the last one left! I didn't know anything about this book, and it was my first john green book, so i was excited. I did have high expectations since it was John Green.

After Thoughts:
After reading the first 50 pages, i didn't know what to think. I didn't really like or dislike the book, so i just kept on reading. I was waiting for the book to amaze me since it was john Green! The book did get a little better as i kept reading, but nothing spectacular. One thing i did like was the mystery about the Before and After, like before what!?
 Characters: I had a love hate relationship with almost all of the characters. "Pudge" frustrated me! He was such a good led before he went to Culver creek, and then turned into a "bad boy." I hate when that happens. Can't he be a good guy and still make the story good? Alaska also annoyed me so much! She was so moody and i didn't understand why she had so many friends when she was so moody and mean at times. 
The ending: It was an OK ending, but nothing special. I was expecting more. Overall, i liked the book, but didn't love it. I guess i was expecting more. I rate it 3/5 stars! 




Purchase this book from the book depository, and i get a small commission: http://www.bookdepository.com/?a_aid=bookreviewer21

Don't Forget to:
  • Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/bookreviewer21
  • Subscribe to me on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/bookreviewer21
  • Comment on this post!
  • Follow this blog!

Thank you!

2 comments:

  1. I felt the same way about this book. It was blah. I'm NOT a fan of John Green to start with, but I expected to be blown away because of the large following he has. It was mediocre at best for me. I liked the Before and After thing too. I thought it definitely added mystery to an otherwise pretty boring story.

    OMG and I"m so happy Alaska annoyed you! I HATED her. I think I've never hated a character like I hated her. I was so happy when she died. Good, no more stupidity from Alaska. Ugh. So annoying.

    Great review Alyssa! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad we felt the same way about the book! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete